The Tao of Conscious Consumer
The Conscious consumer is an individual that has consumption practices aimed at the sustainable development of the planet.
Going green doesn’t start with doing green acts – it starts with a shift in consciousness. This shift allows you to recognize that with every choice you make, you are voting either for or against the kind of world you wish to see… When you assume this as a way of being, your choices become easier. Using a reusable water bottle, recycling, and making conscious daily consumer choices are just a few of the ways our incredible cast is green.
The Conscious Green consumer: consumer attitudes towards the environment.
Also known as a sustainable consumer, the conscious green consumer is one who has consumer attitudes aimed at preserving the environment.
These positive attitudes contribute to the sustainable development of the planet and intend to preserve our shared resources. Therefore, we name our common resources “Our Commons”, our air, oceans, forests, etc.
Principal sustainable attitudes of a Conscious and green consumer.
– Consume organic foods (fruits, vegetables, and legumes), which, in addition to being healthier, do not contaminate the environment with pesticides.
– Consume of products that use recyclable packaging.
– Use means of transport that do not pollute the air or have low levels of pollution.
– Use, whenever possible, the public transport system.
Do not consume or consume moderately meat (of the animal origin, especially red meat), as its production requires the use of large amounts of water. To give you an idea, to produce 1 kilo of beef, around 15 thousand liters of water are used.
– Use returnable bags (ecological) in supermarkets.
Use rationally (save) water and electricity at home and in the work environment.
– Make selective garbage collection and participate in recycling programs.
– Reuse products, when possible, rather than simply discarding them.
– Buy wood products with environmental certification.
– Do not discard products that may contaminate the soil or rivers in common garbage. Examples: batteries, medicines, and chemicals.
– Do not dump used cooking oil into the sewer system. In many cities, this type of oil is already being recycled.
– Buy plants and flowers that were planted for sale. Many of these products are taken from nature, which harms the environment and, therefore, should not be purchased.
Creating a habit of Conscious Consumption is good for the pocket, the environment, and the planet with its beings.
What is Conscious Consumption, you may ask!
Conscious Consumption is the act of acquiring and using consumer goods, food, and natural resources so as not to exceed needs. In addition to being a matter of citizenship, conscientious consumption attitudes help to preserve the environment.
“Together, we can bring our planet’s heartbeat back.”
– Ian Somerhalder,
Characteristics and suggestions for practices aimed at Conscious Consumption.
Buy clothes, food, and other goods in the right measure for individual or family consumption, to avoid waste as much as possible.
Spend water and energy only what is necessary, avoiding waste as much as possible.
Choose to use green fuels (biofuels), avoiding fossil fuels (gasoline, diesel, etc.).
Reuse natural products and goods whenever possible.
Acquire household appliances (refrigerators, microwaves, etc.) that work with low electricity consumption.
Promote the separation and recycling of waste.
Use systems that avoid wasting water and energy in homes.
Use a credit (financing, credit card, installment plan) with great responsibility and always doing the math to verify that purchases will not compromise the budget.
Valuing and purchasing products from companies that demonstrate social and environmental concerns.
Purchase products only with the issuance of an invoice.
To demand from companies, through constructive suggestions, the improvement of products and services, aiming at reducing the environmental impact.
Ministry Earth is a collective Awareness-Raising, Perception-Building Initiative from Humanity Healing International, Cathedral of the Soul Educational outreaches created to introduce the perspective of Ethical Consciousness and Nonhuman Personhood to its Animal & Eco Ministries. Ministry Earth is a Service-Oriented Initiative and its Magazine is a Copyrighted Publication of OMTimes Media, Inc. Broadcasting and Publishing House.